Care and maintenance are critical to ensuring your granite, marble or Quartz surfaces remain beautiful. This guide will provide you with an overview of how to care for your newly installed stone. If you have any questions or for more detailed care instructions please contact us.
In most cases, soap and water or a mild detergent is all that is required to maintain its shine. To remove stubborn or dried stains, use a damp, soft cloth with warm water and soap. If needed, apply a non-abrasive household cleaner. Thoroughly rinse the surface with clean water to remove residue. Quartz has a non-porous surface, so you will never have to apply sealer to it.
Common care for granite involves only periodic washing with clean water and a neutral detergent soap or cleaner. Following the manufacturer’s directions for using a soap or cleaner, wash in small, overlapping sweeps. Rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove all traces of soap or cleaner solution. Dry with a soft cloth and allow to thoroughly air dry. After drying, a sealer may be applied. To increase stain resistance, use a sealer designed specifically for granite.
Normal maintenance for marble surfaces involves only periodic washing with clean, water and mildly alkaline cleaners. “Soapless” cleaners are better to use because they minimize streaking and filming.
Begin by applying clean, hot water (not boiling) to the surface. Next, using the cleaning solution (following the manufacturer’s directions) and wash in small, overlapping sweeps. Rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove all traces of soap or cleaner solution. Dry with a soft cloth or cotton-flannel and allow to thoroughly air dry.
Marble & Granite Stain Removal
Any spills should be cleaned up immediately. The easiest way to remove a stain is to “pull it out” of the stone with a chemical and material that will absorb the stain. This chemical-absorbent material is called a poultice. Poultices are commonly powder or cloth materials that can be mixed with a chemical and placed on top of the stain.
To apply a poultice, take the following steps:
- Clean the stained area with water and a neutral cleaner. Remember to blot only.
- Pre-wet the stain area with a little water. Use distilled water for best results.
- Determine the recommended chemical for the particular stain – contact us if you are unsure as certain chemicals will react with the spilled material and could make the stain permanent.
- Mix the poultice material with the selected chemical.
- Apply the poultice to the stain area. Do not make the application too thick, or it will take a long time to dry.
- The poultice should be left on the stain from 1 hour up to 48 hours, depending on the age and depth of the stain.
- Place plastic wrap, held in place by masking tape, over the poultice.
- Remove the plastic cover and check to see if the paste has dried. If not allow it to sit uncovered until thoroughly dry.
- To remove the paste, gently scrape and rinse the area.
- If the stain still remains but appears lighter, re-apply the poultice until it is gone. If you still have poultice left over from the previous application, throw it away and make a fresh batch.
647 980 5067
Sales & Customer Service
100 City Centre Dr,
Mississauga, ON L5B 2C9
Meet with an Stone expert
Please type in your name & email and we will get back to you with in same business day, Thank you.
Scedule your appointment